My Bookshelf

Friday 20 January 2012

Her Fearful Symmetry

When Elspeth Noblin dies she leaves her beautiful flat overlooking Highgate Cemetery to her twin nieces, Julia and Valentina Poole, on the condition that their mother is never allowed to cross the threshhold. But until the solicitors' letter falls through the door of their suburban American home, neither Julia nor Valentina knew their aunt existed. The twins feel that in London their own lives can finally begin but have no idea that they have been summoned into a tangle of fraying lives, from the obsessive-compulsive crossword setter who lives above them to their aunt's mysterious and elusive lover, who lives below them and works in the cemetery itself.


So cleverly I managed to delete my review about this that I posted yesterday.. Anyhow, I just finished this book and really loved it. Wowza, though, it's a bit odd... As the blurb says, it is set on the edge of Highgate Cemetery and from there on it's a little on the eerie side. Every character has a slightly dark edge to them but to be honest I kind of liked the oddness!

For anyone who has read The Time Travellers Wife, you'll know what a pleasure Audrey Niffenegger's writing is to read. It's simple and easy without being trashy and it's pretty without being too fussy.


If you fancy reading something Gothic but dread tucking into a dense classic like Dracula or Wuthering Heights, then this is definitely worth a read.



It was 480 or so pages but i got through it easily and without thinking about the pages - always a good sign for me! It's whole spooky world might be a bit odd at first but it completely sucks you in. A friend of mine who read it before me went immediately off to visit Highgate Cemetery and I might have to do the same...


I really enjoyed so give it a firm 8/10.

1 comment:

  1. loved the time traveller's wife but found this one too strange - if you read any other's like the time traveller let me know please!

    ReplyDelete